Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our mission is to seek out and encourage opportunity and competitive advantage for the further advancement of equity, diversity, and inclusion for IT Division leadership, faculty, staff, and students. To this end, we aspire to increase and retain underrepresented faculty, staff, and students through strategic, equity-minded, and inclusive initiatives. To be impactful, our team will embrace the cultural change in our workplace through the data we use, the innovative technical solutions we provide, and the diverse representation of our Division.
Our goal is to build a safe, accepting, and successful environment together. To narrow
gaps of diverse representation within our team, we will press beyond mission and value
statements and strive toward action and accountability to achieve our goals of continuously
improving diversity and the engagement of our SDSU community.
- The ITD Diversity Council will create, implement, review and continually improve a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Plan to support divisional and campus efforts to create an evolving inclusive environment.
- The ITD Diversity Council will sponsor events to inform IT Division employees that increase awareness and improve the division’s climate as it relates to diversity, equity, and inclusion to promote a working environment centered on respect for all.
- Encourage critical review in relation to diversity, equity, and inclusion within IT
Collaborate with the greater San Diego State University community to support a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- The committee shall consist of a mix of representatives from different IT units (i.e. AIS, ITS, ITUS, ITNI, ITIO, Web, DADO) in the division, appointed by each IT unit leader/manager.
- The terms of service of committee members would ideally be a minimum of one year, with no limit to the time served. It is the responsibility of the council member(s) to notify the DEI Council Chairs if they wish to extend or leave the council.
- The DEI Council Chairs shall be selected by the ITD Diversity Council. Nominations can originate from committee members or self-nomination.
- The DEI council shall meet at minimum average of once per month from starting in January 2021.